Causes and Symptoms

Skin Conditions

Find out more about both common and rare skin conditions, the causes and symptoms and how we can help you treat these conditions
Skin Cancer2020-01-15T09:55:35+11:00

Skin Cancer

Causes & Symptoms

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world.  Early detection and prompt treatment of the skin cancer leads to a greater chance of a cure.  If you have fair skin, a large number of moles or a history of skin cancer in the family, we highly recommend you have regular skin checks with The Skin Hospital.

Around two thirds of Australians will get skin cancer in their lifetime. This is due to Australians having a predominantly pale-skinned population and living in a sunny climate.

Regular burning and sun-baking causes progressive wrinkling (ageing) and abnormal growth of cells which may become cancerous.  This long-term exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays damages the genetic material in our skin and is both cumulative and irreversible.

The sensitivity of your skin to sun damage depends partly upon your colouring.  The most sensitive skin is that of an albino who is unable to produce any pigment because of a genetic defect.  Next down the scale is the redhead with pale, translucent skin and blue eyes who burns easily and finds it impossible to tan.  As a rule blondes or Celts are more affected by solar damage than brunettes and races with deep olive skin which have greater, natural protection.  Skin cancers are less common among darker skinned races.

Skin cancer kills more than 1,000 Australians each year.  Melanoma is a deadly skin cancer, and if not treated early accounts for 70% of deaths from skin cancer. Common skin cancers which have grown too large, or have spread throughout the body, account for the remaining 30% of skin cancer deaths.

There are three types of skin cancer:

Treatment at The Skin Hospital

The Skin Hospital runs a speciality clinic at Darlinghurst and Westmead dedicated to the treatment of skin cancer. If you would like to find out more about this speciality clinic please contact us.  The following doctors specialise in the treatment of skin cancer:

Dr Simon Lee
Darlinghurst & Westmead
Dr Tasman Lipscombe
Dr Nicholas Stewart
Darlinghurst & Westmead

Further Information

If you would like further information on skin cancer the sites below provide more in-depth descriptions of the types and causes of skin cancer:

Skin Cancer – DermNet NZ

Skin Cancer Overview – ACD 

Find a Specialist

All our dermatologists are highly skilled in diagnosing and treating Skin Cancer. Click on the link below to find a dermatologist who can help you with your skin condition.

General Dermatology